The "New" Farmall
Back to Contents and Directions
Back to Projects
Here's the new H, hereafter known as Mr. Haney, with his first load of mulch:
Mr.Haney 1st mulch.jpg (39834 bytes)
I had to go get one load before starting work on the transmission just to see what he could do. I figured he had been in use for weeks
and one more trip wouldn't hurt.
He spent the next several weeks looking like this most of the time:
haneyrepair1.jpg (39819 bytes)
Waiting for parts, working toward days off, studying manuals, seeking advice; there's a lot that goes into a job like this.
When I went and looked at him the first time the owner's dad met me there and gave me the story. The owner had bought him, engine stuck, planning on a full restoration. He had rebuilt the engine "with a Super H kit," new pistons, bearings, camshaft, clutch, valves,  head taken to machine shop, etc. But before he started on the behind the clutch end he lost his heart ( I would add mind) to a giant green tractor that he planned to use at tractor pulls. In the freak category, I think. It already had a V-8 diesel out of an eighteen-wheeler, and he needed to sell the H to help pay for the further abominizing. So he put a good coat of paint on it and put it in the Market Bulletin.
Dad told me that it leaked around the brakes some (soaked) and would jump out of fifth gear. He said that he had been using it for mowing a little, and that when he wanted to use fifth he would just lay his foot on the shift to hold it in gear. When I bent down and wiggled a front wheel he allowed as how they might want tightening. And he said that they hadn't changed the oil in the rear end yet, that I ought to go ahead and do that. The level was OK, though. I stuck my finger in the level plug and was relieved to see no sign of water.
I had already read up on old posts at Yesterday's Tractors and had an idea what I was up against to replace the worn road gear, brake seals, and bands; nothing I couldn't handle with a little help on the four-handed items. (Thanks, Mike) And there was no hurry; the brakes sorta worked, and it really was easy to hold it in fifth.
But I did  want to go ahead and fix the the front wheels; start off easy. Luckily Dad was right; the bearings were good, they only needed grease and snugging up. And I really should go ahead and change the gear oil. I could tell by the color that it was past due. That was where the fun faded.
When I took the plug out of the rear end and fingered out enough of the sludge that it started to "flow" - well, there were bits in it. Recognizable bits. Pieces of bearing keeper off ball bearings. Thankfully, no teeth or chunks of steelies, but bad enough.
I decided to go on with the transmission work right away.
Wound up doing brake seals and bands, the fourth/fifth slider gear, two ball bearings on the right bull pinion shaft, the right hand half of the differential housing, the seal on the main transmission shaft, the pilot bearing, numerous gaskets and et ceteras. Many adventures and learning experiences. I also replaced the main transmission drive shaft. Even though the splines for fifth gear were not as badly worn as they had looked while it was still in the tractor, I had ordered it and might as well put it in. But despite the fact that the part number and the tooth count on the one I took out matched the one in the catalogue the match up with the old constant mesh gear just wouldn't do. It looks like the pitch of the teeth is different. Half a day taking the new one out and putting the old one back in.
And now it's all done. I'll put in a picture of the load of mulch I went and got first thing after getting him back together; it looks just like the last one and just like the hundreds more to come.
newmulchpile.jpg (40018 bytes)
There's always more to do for a machine of Mr. Haney's advanced age. Some of it is shown at Liftall Replacement.
-